“The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated.” – Mahatma Gandhi
This week is National Pet Week! There are many ways in which you can celebrate and assist our animal friends, companions, and colleagues.
Consider a Pet-friendly Workplace
Over the years, many American corporate environments have become more casual. This has led to more companies, including some of the hottest companies around, to create pet-friendly work environments and extend Take Your Dog to Work Week into a year-round culture of animal inspiration. Pet-friendly offices can be a good incentive for recruiting, as well as providing moments of levity and stress relief when work gets intense.
In most corporate or creative businesses, this trend mainly applies to dogs, although “retail cats” remain fixtures in bookstores and bodegas across the land, and can coax in new business through their online popularity.
If you want to make your workplace pet-friendly, take into account these considerations:
- Will the animals be comfortable and safe? If they need to run around or use the bathroom, will they be able to do so easily enough?
- What do the humans think? If your team is full of animal lovers, they may be enthusiastic. If some of them have allergies, or don’t want dogs around, a pet-friendly workplace may not be right for you at this time.
- Do pets fit in with your brand and your company culture?
- Will their presence make your team more productive and happy? Will their need for companionship be more of a distraction or an inspiration?
- What are the applicable rules and logistical concerns that apply to your workplace?
- Should you offer other animal-related perks, such as pet insurance?
Other Ways to Help Animals
Whether or not you can accommodate pets in your offices, there are many ways to support animals this week and throughout the year.
Top San Francisco animal charities and top Los Angeles animal charities are always in need of donations (money and items) and volunteer power. These include shelters, rescue groups, and organizations that promote animal welfare. You can use Charity Navigator to determine which animal charities in Los Angeles or San Francisco you most want to support with your money or your time.We love and support NKLA which is working hard to make Los Angeles a no kill city.
You might consider organizing a team volunteer outing to help such an organization. Giving aid to more vulnerable creatures can open our hearts, teach us a lot about ourselves, and help teams come together to better understand each other
At Artisan Creative, our mission is to help build the workplaces, teams, and careers of the future. Contact Artisan Creative today to explore more.
We hope you’ve enjoyed the 520th issue of our a.blog. Follow us on social and meet the furry friends who keep us company at work.