When I asked our Recruiters at Artisan Creative for a couple of rules of thumb for job seekers, their answers were more comprehensive than I expected. Turns out they have had a lot of candidates do a lot of odd things—things you should avoid in your job search process.
Here are some Do’s and Don’ts about what (not) to wear:
- Don’t wear flip-flops.
- Do make sure you are wearing shoes.
- Don’t dress more casually than your interviewer.
- Do dress appropriately—your first impression is a lasting one.
It’s hard to believe people wear flip-flops to interviews, but in Los Angeles, there are many workplaces that allow them. That does not mean they are appropriate for an interview, however.
When you are planning your interview outfit, remember some of our earlier advice:
- Dress more formally than you think the company typically requires. They will appreciate you taking care about your appearance.
- Candidates in creative fields should choose one garment or accessory that is distinctive or fashion-forward to express their personal style. But just one.
- Ladies, don’t wear a skirt unless you want to wear hose.
- Makeup, hair, and nails should be neat and well-maintained.
Next time: An Etiquette Lesson
Wendy Stackhouse for Artisan Creative