When I asked our Recruiters at Artisan Creative for a couple of rules of thumb for job seekers, their answers were more comprehensive than I expected. Turns out they have had a lot of candidates do a lot of odd things—things you should avoid in your job search process.
Here are some Do’s and Don’ts about what (not) to wear:
- Don’t wear flip-flops.
- Do make sure you are wearing shoes.
- Don’t dress more casually than your interviewer.
- Do dress appropriately—your first impression is a lasting one.
It’s hard to believe people wear flip-flops to interviews, but in Los Angeles, there are many workplaces that allow them. That does not mean they are appropriate for an interview, however.
- Dress more formally than you think the company typically requires. They will appreciate you taking care about your appearance.
- Candidates in creative fields should choose one garment or accessory that is distinctive or fashion-forward to express their personal style. But just one.
- Ladies, don’t wear a skirt unless you want to wear hose.
- Makeup, hair and nails should be neat and well-maintained.
Next time: An Etiquette Lesson
Wendy Stackhouse, Consultant for Artisan Creative