Now that you’ve set your goals for the year and created your vision board, it’s important to devise a plan to stay on track and act on what you’ve set your mind to do.
In his book Triggers, Marshall Goldsmith says; “We are superior planners and inferior doers!” So in order to take action, we have to develop new habits, a razor-sharp focus, and be undeterred.
Below are some tools to help stay organized and focused and apply action to the plan at hand.
- Make the commitment! If they are truly important to you, then you owe it to yourself to commit to them. You set these goals for a reason.
- Keep to an organized calendar and protect your time. Great tools such as Toggle or Trello can be a huge benefit in managing your to-do list.
- Focus on important matters. Urgent matters have a way of creeping in and taking over if you aren’t focused.
- Breakdown your to-do list into bite-size steps that need to happen daily or weekly for the goal to be accomplished.
- Add a timeline or date for accomplishing each step.
- Broadcast your goals and let your co-workers, friends, and family know so they can be your accountability partners.
- Ask for support where you need it. Delegating some tasks can open up your calendar to take care of the goals you have set.
- Know what you have to stop doing and be aware of your triggers, so you can adjust your mindset and offset any roadblocks. For example, let’s say your plan is to set workout routine 3 times a week. If you already know that you have more energy in the mornings or mid-day than after work, set your routine and go to the gym to work or during lunch. The temptation to skip a workout after a long day may be too easy if you are already tired or hungry.
- Celebrate every win. Every small win is a step in the right direction. Don’t wait to accomplish the goal until you celebrate.
- Forgive. Every so often, we all stumble. It’s ok. Just get back to your routine and the new habits you are trying to create.
Wishing you a great start to the new year. If you are looking for a new career opportunity this year or looking to hire your dream team, please get in touch.
We hope you enjoy the 457th issue of our weekly a.blog.