If you’ve ever been in a position that required you to hire staff, then you’ll know exactly why the recruitment industry exists – to help clients make their way through the costly and often confusing hiring maze!
Recruiters are experts at developing key search criteria for a given position and then sourcing, qualifying, and negotiating with talent to secure a successful full time or freelance placement. Though much recruitment is conducted through a specialist recruitment agency or a contract recruiter hired for a short time to assist with key hires, some recruiters can also be found working full time directly for the company doing the hiring. It really depends on the size and type of business you are running.
Is hiring a recruiter right for your company?
Before you decide to use a recruiter to find talent, consider the following:
- A recruiter can save you time by going through the dozens, or even hundreds, of applicants interested in your position to find only the best of the best.
- A good recruiter will have high-quality candidates already in their network – an amazing, creative, and experienced pool of talent already qualified and ready to present to you.
- The best recruiters will always pre-screen candidates, making sure that you only interview those who are truly a good fit.
- Recruiters offer substantial cost savings. They post your jobs to numerous paid job boards on your behalf, take care of taxes and insurance for freelancers, and only get paid for their services if they are successful.
- A specialist recruiter knows the industry and the skills required for certain positions. Therefore, they understand your specific needs intimately and, with a little education about your company and culture, can become an extension of your company to potential candidates.
- By involving a third party not associated with your company, recruiters allow you to search for talent confidentially, without posting the details of your talent search publicly. This is key if you’re looking to replace a current employee or vendor.
- Recruiters have access to candidates who are not on the open market and may not hear about your opportunity otherwise.
Have you used a recruiter to find your staff? We would love to hear your story!
Looking for a job yourself? Consider using a recruiter for your job search as well!
Wendy Stackhouse, for Artisan Creative, with help from everyone on Our Team