We’ve all had them. You’re sitting at your desk, staring at that blank white rectangle. The one on your screen is more likely than the dead tree variety these days, but the feeling is the same.
You’re blocked. How to begin?
- Read. Doesn’t matter what. Put someone else’s voice in your head and eventually your brain will start a conversation.
- Move. Try working in a different environment—outside or at a coffee shop or wherever. Stimulate your senses with something you don’t usually have around.
- Stop. Getting up and doing something else when you’re blocked feels like procrastination, but it might be just what you need. Stop staring.
- Write. Okay, you’re blocked. Write about why. Write about how. Write about how it makes you feel. You’ll get there.
- Play. Don’t work on your project, just play for a while in your medium. Draw. Write something silly. Design something ridiculous. Make yourself smile.
Whatever gets you where you need to go is necessary to your process, even if it doesn’t feel like you’re working. Don’t feel guilty if what you need is to be doing something different for a while.