Creating 2023’s Vision
Planning for next year starts today.
We have an opportunity now to evaluate what worked, and what didn’t and to re-focus our plans and vision for the new year. Every year presents opportunities for learning, growth, and for eliminating what hasn’t worked. It takes reflection and then the implementation of a plan… both personally and professionally.
Each year our team at Artisan Creative works on a plan by creating a vision board. We present the boards to one another at the first meeting of the year in January. The boards represent our short and long-term goals and include both personal and professional aspirations. Many of our team members create physical boards, and others opt for a digital version using Trello, Canva, Pinterest, Jamboard, or PicMonkey.
We create accountability (one of our core values) by presenting the boards to each other as well as learning more about each other’s ambitions, dreams, and commitments. Some set a theme for the year, and then include specific action words and inspirational quotes. All have in common a shared use of imagery that inspires, tells a story, and conveys a message to create a powerful visualization tool.
In addition to sharing our vision and goals at the start of the new year, we review our boards mid-year as well as share a recap at our year-end meeting. This helps keep us on track during the course of the year, which can have many twists and turns. This activity is one of our strongest team-building exercises, as it stays “evergreen”.
Here are five tips to create your vision board and get started on achieving your goals!
- Choose a theme
- Select words and images that inspire and are true to your core values and positivity and inspiration for yourself and others.
- Imagine the integrated life/work you want to have.
- Create your board.
- Live your best life.
You can either divide your board into sections for business and personal or mix the elements together throughout. The important point is to create an integrated board where your personal and professional aspirations are represented.
Hang the board where you can re-visit it daily—read the inspirational messages out loud— and often! Mine is right in front of my desk, so I get to see it every time I look up from my computer.
Another key element is sharing the board with others. Having an accountability partner will help you get closer to achieving your goals.
If you choose to go the digital route, change your desktop to the vision board artwork so you can see it every day for inspiration and setting priorities.
- A large poster board to give you plenty of space to visualize your year, yet small enough to hang on your wall. We use the 22 x 28 size available from Staples.
- A good pair of scissors and a strong glue stick so the pictures stay on all year long.
- Variety of magazines to look through and find those inspiring words and pictures.
- (Optional) Markers/stickers to write on or embellish your board.
- Patience and Creativity.
- Time to reflect.
- Start in December and finalize by Jan 1.
- Select images and words throughout the month and calendar a day to create the actual vision board.
For some people, it’s easier to start with a theme and for others, the pictures and words shape the theme of the board. There is no right or wrong method, harness your creativity in any way that works best for you.
Happy 2023 & good luck with those aspirations!